2017-11-11: Weekly News¶
Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Blender Development! Blender is the free and opensource 3D creation suite for the next generation of artist. Follow the development on Twitter @BlenderDev.
This Week in Blender Development is openly developed on Github so please report any recommendations, bugs, or PRs for this website there.
If you have idea for some great feature that you think should be part of Blender try making a post on https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/
Remember, you can test any changes done in master or blender2.8 by going to the developmental builds download page
Changes to Blender¶
- Small (7%) performance increase in metaball tessellation rBd95eabf0
- Cycles: better distance sampling for chromatic volume extinction (see link for comparison images) rBa466d7ae
- Cycles: add bevel shader, for raytrace based rounded edges (see the link in the commit message for example images) rB26f39e63
- Cycles: antialias normal baking if the mesh has a bump map rBd0af56fe
- Cycles: reduce closure memory usage for emission/shadow shader data (30% memory improvement) rB8a72be76
- Cycles: fix inefficient attribute map storage, saves 615MB in victor scene. rBcac3d4d1
- Manipulators: add a new ruler tool rB0260fad9
- Small speedup for viewport data caching (60% improvement) rBed555750
- Support Auto-Smooth in Edit-Mode rB5d70e847
- UI: show tool-tips for each tools shortcuts rBfbfda21f
Along with the noted changes below, there was a lot of work done to have the changes reading to be merged into the blender2.8 branch.
- Optionally cancel render when a texture is missing D2908
- Experimental hashing lookup of ID’s, replacing linked list lookups D2910
- Cycles: Reducing amount of operations per intersect check (8% speed improvement) D2911
- Array Modifier: option to offset UV’s D2912
- blender2.8: support for metaball drawing D2914